I spend a lot of time listening and writing down things I hear my students saying. These quotes often find there way back into our learning together. Most of the books we read together have come from questions, ideas, comments, or statements that a student has said. Here are the top 5 quotes from students that have led to us using stories as a way learn about our world.
5. “Why do people call them Indians not Native Americans?”
4. “What’s the whole point of gender as kid?”
3. “Can someones culture be a costume?”
2. “Why are people racist just because someones skin is different?”
1. “Why are people upset about immigrants?”
The conversations and questions didn’t end with these books they were just the first in a series of books, tweets, photographs, video clips, and podcasts that are working together to help us understand what we see, hear, and feel around us.